2022 Competitive Scholarship Program Auditions are Open!
Each year the Central Coast Conservatorium supports about 80 students through its competitive and non-competitive scholarship programs. These programs, funded by the Conservatorium, are bolstered through the generosity of donors, supporters and sponsors from our community.
Our competitive scholarships are awarded to highlight students with excellent potential and talent as well as encouraging further study and achievement at the Central Coast Conservatorium.
These scholarships include:
Allen Family Senior Scholarship (14- 22 years of age)
1st place $2,000 | 2nd place $1,000 | 3rd place $500
Richard Newton Central Coast Philharmonia Choir Vocal Scholarship (14-18 years of age)
CCCM Senior Instrumental/Vocal Scholarships (14-18 years of age)
CCCM Junior Instrumental/Vocal Scholarships (<13 years of age)
Allen Family Junior Encouragement Award (<13 years of age)
$500 each x 3 scholarships available
Our competitive scholarships have specific criteria so please ensure that you are applying for the correct scholarship by reading and understanding the criteria below. There are also strict audition requirements that must be adhered to and presented to the audition panel on the audition day. It is essential that you understand the criteria and audition requirements before you apply.
2022 SCHOLARSHIP AUDITION REQUIREMENTS:
INSTRUMENTAL: PIANO, STRINGS, GUITAR, WOODWIND & BRASS AUDITIONS
(14-18 years of age) $1,000
- At least two contrasting works. (Minimum of one accompanied work with piano)
- Guitar students may be accompanied by another guitarist
- Piano students do not require accompaniment
- Total audition time should be approximately 10 minutes (Junior students) or 15 minutes (Senior students)
VOCAL AUDITIONS 14-18 years of age) $1,000
Two contrasting songs with:
- Classical – piano accompaniment and sung with natural voice
- Contemporary – backing track and use of microphone
Technical work (ALL from Memory):
- 2 major scales and relative arpeggios
- 2 minor scales and relative arpeggios
PERCUSSION AUDITIONS (14-18 years of age) $1,000
Two contrasting works:
Drum kit – two different styles of music (e.g. rock, jazz, Latin, etc.). One piece should be accompanied by a backing track.
Orchestral percussion – to include one piece on mallet percussion, the other may be on snare drum, timpani, mallet percussion or multiple percussion instruments. One piece should be accompanied on piano or marimba.
ALLEN FAMILY FINALS SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS (14- 22 years of age)
In addition to your Instrumental/Vocal scholarship audition, you may elect to be considered for the Allen Family Scholarship, valued at $2,000 (1st Place), $1,000 (2nd Place), $500 (3rd Place).
An independent adjudicator will determine the winner of this scholarship at the Scholarship Finals held on Saturday 11th December at Greenway Chapel from 6pm.
An adjudication panel will assess applicants for this scholarship during the first round of auditions on Saturday 4th December and determine the successful candidates that will proceed to the Scholarship Finals on Saturday 11th December. This process will occur as part of the Senior Instrumental/Vocal Scholarship audition or as a separate audition if you are ineligible or are not applying for a Senior Instrumental/Vocal Scholarship.
You must indicate on your application form that you wish to apply for this scholarship.
If you are only applying for the Allen Family Scholarship you must present at least two contrasting solo pieces of 12 to 15 minutes duration (accompanied by piano). Piano students do not require an accompaniment.
You must be between 14 and 22 years of age on 4th December 2021 to be eligible for this scholarship.
You should have been studying your instrument/voice for at least 3 years and be of Grade 7 AMEB minimum standard or equivalent. Please discuss this requirement with your teacher if you are unsure if you comply with the minimum standard.
Successful applicants will be required to perform in the Allen Family Scholarship Finals Concert. The date of this performance is Saturday 11th December at 6pm. Candidates generally perform the repertoire that is presented in the panel audition but this can be altered through negotiation with the student’s teacher and the Artistic Director.
ALLEN FAMILY JUNIOR ENCOURAGEMENT AWARD: (Up to 13 years of age $500 x 3)
In addition to the Instrumental/Vocal scholarship audition, the student will be considered for the Allen Family Junior encouragement award, valued at $500. There will be three of these awarded to scholarship winners.
An adjudication panel will assess applicants for this scholarship during the auditions on Saturday 4th December 2021 and determine the successful candidates. This process will occur as part of the Junior Instrumental/Vocal Scholarships.
- You must be under 14 years of age on 11th December 2021 to be eligible for this scholarship.
- You should have been studying your instrument/voice for at least 2 years and be of Grade 3 AMEB minimum standard or equivalent. Please discuss this requirement with your teacher if you are unsure if you comply with the minimum standard.
RICHARD NEWTON CENTRAL COAST PHILHARMONIA CHOIR SCHOLARSHIP AUDITIONS
(14 -18 years of age $1000)
Senior vocal students may elect to be considered for this Scholarship, valued at $1,000.
The Senior Instrumental/Vocal Scholarship adjudication panel will assess applicants for this scholarship on Saturday 4th December, 2021 and determine the successful candidate at this audition.
You must indicate on your application form that you wish to apply for this scholarship
Applicants for this scholarship must prepare and present the Vocal Audition requirements listed above.
You must be between 14 and 18 years of age on 4th December 2021 to be eligible for this scholarship.
You should have been studying voice for at least 3 years and be of Grade 7 AMEB minimum standard or equivalent. Please discuss this requirement with your teacher if you are unsure if you comply with the minimum standard.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL AUDITIONS
General presentation and performance etiquette will be taken into consideration (proper concert performance dress is required at auditions).
You may be asked general knowledge questions on repertoire and/or general commitment.
Applicants who are permitted to use backing tracks (e.g. contemporary vocalists and percussion applicants) must provide their own backing track to the audition and indicate on the application form the type of sound equipment required for the audition.
The competitive auditions will take place on Saturday 4th December, 2020. You will be notified of the time for your audition after the applications close at 11pm on Sunday 28th November 2021.
Scholarship recipients are expected to participate in a 60 minute one-to-one weekly lesson for Senior students or a 30 minute one-to-one weekly lesson plus weekly ensemble for Junior students, for the full year of the Scholarship (four terms). Piano and vocal students may take the option of an additional related weekly activity with approval from the Artistic Director (for example, Vocal students may take piano lessons or join the Central Coast Philharmonia Choir, Piano students may join the Philharmonia Choir, or enrol in Musicianship class).
CRITERIA FOR 2022 SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarships will be applied to the students’ Fees Account as follows:
- Senior and Junior Instrument/Vocal Scholarships will be applied in Term 4, 2022
- Encouragement Awards will be applied in Term 4, 2022
- The Allen Family Scholarship will be applied in Term 4 of 2021 although recipients are considered the 2022 scholarship holders. In some circumstances where the student has graduated (i.e. completed lessons at the Conservatorium), the prize will be paid by bank transfer after the finals in December. It is expected that the prize money be put towards their music education.
- Allen Family winners must submit a 250-word essay within 2 weeks after the Scholarship Finals thanking the sponsor and explaining what they will do with their winnings.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- currently enrolled at Central Coast Conservatorium as one-to-one students or in an ensemble wanting to take up one-to-one lessons; and
- attending a minimum half hour weekly lessons; and
- Juniors should be aged 13 or under as at December 4, 2021
- Seniors should be aged 14 to 22 as at December 4, 2021 2020
- Professional musicians are not eligible.
- Applicants must be Central Coast Conservatorium students. This includes students participating in the ensembles and musicianship classes.
- Scholarships will not be awarded if the adjudicator or adjudication panel deems that there are no candidates of a sufficient standard.
- Students with outstanding or overdue fees are ineligible to apply for the scholarship program.
- Scholarships will not be awarded to students with outstanding fees.
- Central Coast Conservatorium reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship at any time should a student fail to demonstrate commitment or if any of the scholarship conditions are not met.
- Scholarship 1st place winners from the previous year are ineligible to apply for the same scholarship.
- Panel auditions will be conducted at Central Coast Conservatorium at times set by the Artistic Director and Management.
- The Conservatorium will notify you of your accompanist for the audition day. Central Coast Conservatorium will cover the cost of the accompanist for the audition. However, the student must pay the accompanist’s costs for rehearsals. All accompanist rehearsals must be paid for through the Administration office.
- Times and dates for auditions cannot be changed under any circumstances.
- The decision of the adjudicator(s) will be final and no dialogue or correspondence will be entered into.
- Requirements for scholarship auditions are listed above, are obtainable from instrumental teachers, and will also be displayed on notice boards at the Conservatorium and on our website.
- Finalists for the Allen Family Scholarship will perform at the Allen Family Scholarship Finals and Awards Ceremony on Saturday 11th December at Greenway Memorial Chapel, Green Point. The winners will be announced at the adjudication prior to the conclusion of the event.
- All winners will be invited to perform at the Annual Supporter’s Concert in 2022
Applications must be received by 11pm on Sunday 28th November 2021.
Auditions for our 2022 Competitive Scholarships will be held on Saturday 4th December 2021 at the Greenway Chapel, 460 Avoca Drive, Greenway between 10am and 5pm.
Students who are awarded a scholarship are identified through the competitive process as a student with noteworthy potential and become an ambassador for the Conservatorium.
For those who are eligible and choose to apply, we hope you enjoy the audition process and gain much from the experience of performing for a professional adjudication panel.