Would you like to perform at Sydney Opera House? NSW public school students who play in a wind band are invited to apply for the Arts Unit’s State Wind Band.
The Arts Unit’s State Wind Bands provide an opportunity for high potential and gifted music students in NSW public schools to perform in a state ensemble under the direction of expert conductors. The rehearsal schedule is condensed to support participation from non metro students, who will work with professional conductors and tutors in large ensemble and small sectional sessions to prepare for performances at the Sydney Opera House.
Students who play piccolo, flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, french horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, tuba, double bass and percussion are eligible to apply.
State Senior Band (for students in Years 9 to Year 12)
- Workshops at The Arts Unit, Lewisham Saturday 12 – Sunday 13 August
- Performances at The Sydney Opera House Monday 14 – Tuesday 15 August
State Junior Band (for students in Years 5 to Year 8)
- Workshops at The Arts Unit, Lewisham Saturday 16 – Sunday 17 September
- Performances at The Sydney Opera House Monday 18 – Tuesday 19 September
- Sydney metropolitan student participation fee – $110
- Students from rural & remote schools – $85.50
Teacher mentoring opportunity
There is an opportunity for teachers to join the program in the capacity of a band staff member or conductor. Participating teachers will work with expert conductors and tutors to build their capacity as a band conductor and coordinator.
For more information and to apply, visit artsunit.nsw.edu.au/program/state-wind-bands
All applications close Monday 29 May.